Better Angels core principles for political discussion:
- Treat those with different opinions (“the other side”) with respect.
- Seek to understand the other side’s point of view, even if you don’t agree with it.
- Seek opportunities to acknowledge shared values with the other side.
- Seek opportunities to find political common ground with the other side.
- Engage the other side’s best arguments.
- Decline to engage in personal attacks or simplistic/false characterizations of the other side’s arguments.
- Do not presume those on the other side are acting in bad faith.
- When taking a stance on an issue, show your rationale and cite your evidence in a way that permits another to confirm what you are saying.
- Advocate for principles of depolarization as one of your main priorities.